Powder Laundry Detergent
It’s easy to make your own laundry detergent! Our DIY powder laundry detergent is about a tenth the price of using store-bought laundry detergent and creates a mix that is free of dyes and perfumes.
1 Kirk’s Fragrance Free or Original Fresh Scent bar soap
1 cup washing soda
1 cup Ecos Oxo Brite
1/2 cup kosher salt
- Working in a well-ventilated area, cut the bar soap into chunks.
- Fit a shredding blade in a food processor. Add soap chunks and process.
- Fit the food processor with a chopping blade. Add remaining ingredients.
- Process to a very fine powder.
- Store in a container with a tight-fitting lid.
Makes 3 cups.
DIY Laundry Powder
Add 2 tablespoons per load to top- or front-loading high-efficiency (HE) washers. Use 1/4 cup for regular top-loading washers. Adjust the amount based on your laundry needs. Pretreat stains.
Add 1/2 cup distilled vinegar to the rinse cycle or in the fabric softener compartment.
Add drops of essential oils, such as lemon or lavender, to wool dryer balls or a clean cloth in the dryer, if desired.